A Florida man is recovering from flesh-eating bacteria he encountered while hiking in New Hampshire.
Doctors say the bacteria entered Atkins’ body through blisters on his foot from when he went on a hiking trip.
Family members in Norwell, Massachusetts, say Atkins is now doing well.
Thirty-two-year-old Wayne Atkins of Miami has been hospitalized since Father’s Day weekend.
Doctors say the chance of contracting bacteria like Atkins did is one in 250,000.
Florida Person contracts meat-eating pathogenic bacteria through pimples from hiking
A south Florida man is on a long road to recovery after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria through blisters he got while hiking in the White Mountains.
But those blisters turned out to be far more serious than Atkins and his family could’ve imagined.
“He played some soccer and really noticed some blisters and an area of redness on his shin,” she said.
Doctors diagnosed Atkins with a flesh-eating bacteria known as Group A Strep.
Atkins’ mother Karen Gaudreau, a nurse, spoke to News9 from Miami where she’s helping her son through treatment.
referring to WOMAN CONTRACTS FLESH-EATING BACTERIA WHILE FISHING OFF ALABAMA COASTAtkins was in a coma as doctors worked to stop the flesh-eating bacteria from causing more damage.
MAN DIES FROM FLESH-EATING BACTERIA AFTER SWIMMING WITH NEW TATTOOHe kept hiking and felt fine afterward despite the blisters.
A Florida man said he has a “new appreciation of life” after he nearly died when he contracted a flesh-eating bacteria through blisters while hiking in New Hampshire.
Wayne Atkins, 32, told WSVN on Thursday he went hiking on June 4 in New Hampshire during a family wedding celebration.
“I get blisters all the time, so I didn’t think anything of it,” Atkins told the news station.
This content may collect you by Sydney Connor