“Our sweet sweet little girl lost the battle.” A Minnesota boy is fighting for his life after he contracted a strain of E. coli — the same one that killed his younger sister earlier this week.
Kade, 5, and Kallan Maresh, 3, of Wright County, were sickened by an infection called Shiga toxin-producing E. coli (STEC) on July 9, Fox 9 reported.
State health officials are investigating the source of the Shiga toxin-producing bacteria, according to Star Tribune.
Most types of E. coli are generally harmless, but several strains create serious food-borne infections that lead to HUS, according to the Mayo Clinic.
referring to A 5-year-old Wright County boy appears to be fending off a fierce E. coli attack that killed his younger sister.
His grandmother is keeping him stocked with homemade food, and his personality is “starting to shine,” Tyffani Maresh wrote.
Now the good news:”All of his labs are starting to trend in the right direction,” wrote his mother, Tyffani Maresh.
Kallan, 3, and Kade, 5, both suffered kidney failure from the infection.
Previously on their CaringBridge site, Joseph and Tyffani Maresh said the toxin from the bacteria attacked their 3-year-old daughter’s kidneys and her neurological system.
Wright province boy triumphs back E. coli that killed younger sister
referring to “It’s very serious, potentially fatal,” George Canas, M.D., with Kidney Specialists of Minnesota, told WCCO.
Two young siblings, 5-year-old Kade and his younger sister Kallan, were rushed there after being sickened by a vicious strain of E. coli bacteria, CBS Minnesota station WCCO reports.
Roughly 10 to 15 percent of children exposed to this particular E. coli strain will see their condition worsen even after seeking medical care.
The family’s Caring Bridge site broke the sad news on Sunday that Kallan lost her battle with the deadly infection.
Infection could have occurred by transferring the bacteria from the animal onto the children’s hands and then their mouths.
This content may collect you by Sydney Connor